In the episode, a pirate bar in a corporate part of town in a state without an ocean called for help to Jon Taffer. Apparently, a bar with a pirate theme and a complete staff of costumed pirates in a state not known for pirates doesn't work very well, and the owner was over $900,000 in debt. Taffer found the usual mistakes: bland drinks, bad food, and cocky owners. When Taffer suggested to move away from a pirate theme to the owners and bartenders, it was like he suggested they cut their arms off. In most episodes, the owners get a little upset, but nothing major, but these guys were furious. One bartender in particular, a man who lost his eye in an accident, felt that because he had to wear a patch on his eye, he couldn't do anything else, and there he fit in. It makes sense that he wouldn't want the place to change, but I can't understand why the rest of them were so gung ho on the pirate theme. Eventually, they caved in, and Taffer changed the bar to a corporate themed bar called Corporate Bar and Grill, oddly enough. It was clear they weren't happy. They then decided after the episode aired that they wanted to change back to their roots, not by just silently switching it back, but by burning the new sign the show made, putting the footage online, and arrogantly calling Taffer an idiot for even thinking of making changes to the bar. Uhh, what? And these people can't figure out why people mock them online?
Here are a couple reasons why the people of Piratz Tavern are douchebags:
- They called for the help. If the show told the truth, the owners were $900,000 in debt. It's not like they could've survived without the show; they needed the help desperately, and that's why they called for it. If they weren't ready to accept the changes to make them bland enough for everyone, they really shouldn't have asked for help from a reality show.
- They were a pirate bar in a state with no fucking ocean. That makes no sense. If that was their thing, fine. But they act like it made so much sense and that people respected it and how dare Bar Rescue change this.
- If a "rescued" bar wants to take down the changes made, like I said before, fine. If they found it really doesn't help, who cares. It just all depends on how you deal with removing the changes. You can just do it, and not tell anyone, which is cool. You can tell people, but just as a heads-up, or just because you politely disagree, which is fine. Or, you can tell newspapers that you did it because Bar Rescue sucks, and that's not cool. You instantly turn into unappreciative assholes. Now, if this were just some regular bar that took down some signs, or something like that, whatever, but they took down all the corporate stuff, and put back the pirate decor that no one liked. They were publicly cocky about putting back the things that helped them fail.
- This whole thing just feels like one big publicity stunt. You can't tell me they honestly thought they could survive and still be pirate themed. They did this so they could get the name out there, and hopefully get people on board with the idea of a pirate bar. Brilliant.
On the Piratz Tavern Facebook page, I read a post discussing a fan's disappointment with the bar closing because it was a different bar. Not because pirates served you booze, but because all other bars are the same, but this one welcomed misfits. It was a bar for nerds, where nerds could feel less alone, and be together. Now that is something I can get behind. Anytime misfits, like myself, can find a place that they call home, that makes me happy. There's not a lot of places nerds like me fit in, so if that was the honest appeal of Piratz Tavern, I respect that. It's unfortunate that they had to be cocky about the whole thing and ruin it for the rest of the fans. From what I understand, the bar closed because the owners were sick of the trolls mocking them online and prank calling them at the bar. Sure, the episode does stand out by itself, but the actions taken by the owners certainly made things a lot worse.
Morals of the story:
- If you ask for help knowing shit is going to happen that you won't like, you get what you deserve.
- If what you're doing is failing and when you ask for help, you get all arrogant about how great it was before and you do this in public and can't understand why people hate you, you need to remove your head from your ass, and stop being stupid.
- Don't ruin things for nerds, we're very cranky people who don't like change.